Description

Mi's oft geeky sewing blog

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Adventures in cooking

Sewing/cute stuff soon hopefully. February was a big wash in terms of being productive 8D;;

In the meanwhile, here's something I did last night!

As some of you know I'm not really big on cooking. In that, I tend to have no idea what I'm doing.
I can follow a cookie recipe!
Everything else is debatable.

So moving on. I went to Grocery Outlet recently and they had yams on sale, $0.99 per yam. So of course I got the largest one I possibly could (gotta get my money's worth out of that dollar right?).
It was huge:


I'll let you take a moment to realize it's about the size of a toaster (it is, it's curved here so not the best pic but yes).



So I cut it in half, which took FOREVER. That thing was super dense.
And then I cut that in half and as I'm chunking it I realized whoa, this is a lot of yam, and I only own one pan.
So I decided to only bake half of it, and that half I split in half to do one sweet and one savory.

By the way, this is totally not a tutorial/what to do. This is more documenting my experiments 'cause I don't know what I'm doing.


The left half I put chunks of butter, and then was pretty liberal with brown sugar and cinnamon.

The right half I put olive oil and looked at what spices Lydia gave me, which was Allspice and a Not!Oregano. Probably you know what those are buuuut I didn't. So I tasted them both and was like "Uhhh... okay!" and sprinkled them both what I thought was liberally. Then I squeezed a lemon over it. And then I quartered another lemon (I have so many lemons @.@) and stuck them in, 'cause I remembered seeing a recipe on pinterest where they baked the lemon in. 

Wrapped up the foil, and baked!
It smelled sooooo good while it was baking.


Looks good!
Problems:
For the sweet side the amount of sugar I used was more than the butter or something, 'cause it stuck.
For the savory side either I just didn't use enough oil, or lemon counteracts it? It also stuck.

Still, plenty to eat. So I put it on my plate with spinach, still smelling wonderful, feeling super excited to eat this and taste the differences and feeling very adult.


Couldn't taste the difference.
Both were very moist and very sweet.
I don't know if this yam was just exceptionally sweet, or my getting over a cold dulled any savory, or I just need to pour the spices on, but in any case they tasted virtually the same.
The one difference was the lemon! One of the savory pieces I ate had been right next to a lemon wedge, as in touching. It turned out really nice. That one piece.
Not that it all wasn't niiiiice, it just wasn't what I was expecting.
Gonna hit up my cooking friends for advice ;_;

Anyway, I got a bedframe:


Featuring another of my gramma's quilts.
Goes well with the penguins.

No comments:

Post a Comment